Texada Island Heritage Society

Texada Island, British Columbia, Canada

Displays

THE MARSHALL SCHOOL CAIRN

The Marshall school, a one-room log structure, was opened for the 1912-1913 school year with Miss Armstrong wielding the chalk at a salary of $70 Per month. Children of miners at the Paxton Mine and of local farmers learned their abc's in an ungraded school which never had more than 11 students. The mine closed during World War 1 and loggers children helped keep the school open until the 1923-1924 school year when it closed.

In 1922 Leslie Bruce, the Inspector of Schools wrote of the school:

"A neat one-room log building with shingle roof, lined inside, in good condition. Fair lighting, poor heating and ventilation. Janitor work - swept by teacher without extra payment. 15 single factory desks almost new but already marked. Water closets-two, clean. Grounds partly cleared."

The3 building was lived in off and on until it was torn down during World War ll.

The cairn is constructed from a piece of Anderson Bay pink marble. The hauling, placing, fitting and mounting of the plaque and the grading of the site were accomplished by members of the community and local organizations.

This monument is the culmination of nearly ten year's work, by the Texada Heritage Society. Margaret Woodhead started the ball rolling in February of 1990 with a letter to the Provincial Toponymist Janet Mason and spearheaded the project. Margaret conducted a survey of all the residents of this area to gain their approval of naming it Marshall School Junction. She was successful in this endeavor and it is now officially Marshall School Junction.

Dedicated October 22, 1999

............................................................................

Marshall School 1912-1924

............................................................................

 


Accession Number: 2004.04.261
Title: Marshall School Junction Cairn
 


Accession Number: 2006.90.08
Title: Dedication Plaque

............................................................................

 

 

All Rights Reserved Texada Island Heritage Society - Copyright 2006-2015
Web Design courtesy of  Laurie Anne Paton-Rundle
www.texadaheritagesociety.com

This page was last updated Monday April 03, 2017